Monday 27 October 2008

"You Forgot Not To Kill Me, Mummy"

Let it be known that my favorite type of commercials and billboards are, by far, public service announcements. Let it also be known that my favorite movies are horror movies. Therefore, maybe it's no surprise that I absolutely love PSAs that play out like gritty, fucked up horror movies. I love them! A prime example of this at it's best are the amazing Montana Meth ads and billboards (thanks for the tip, Ian D-T!).

Here in Northern Ireland there are a few issues that seem to warrant advertisements that trade completely on shocking your pants off. Among these are: not walking alone at night (you'll get raped!), not carrying a knife (you'll accidentally stab someone!), changing the batteries in your smoke alarm (your child will die and reprimand you!) and almost every law pertaining to driving.
Some of my favorite PSAs:

I. CAN'T. TAKE. MY. EYES. OFF. YOU!


I'm not sure why this version of the commercial is in Hebrew. You can tell it's European because the lyrics on display ("Body to body, funky to funky, we know how to rock the party") are British songwriting at it's best:




But it's not just Northern Ireland! All of Europe loves making you throw up a little while watching TV:

This comes courtesy of Denmark. Ever see the French movie Irreversable? It's kind of like this, but nobody makes a face as funny as when the lady side-ends the car.


These are from Mainland Britain, where playing in traffic is a national pastime:





Maybe if they're not surrounded by fiberglass, bikes should take longer to look for me:


Stop copying me! Stop copying me!


I couldn't find the smoke alarm one, which is easily the most quotable, but I did find Nathan Franklin's seminal short film, "The Happy Smoke Detector," which is about as disturbing:

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Have you ever seen the French one for AIDS, or some other STD, where the woman is fucking some giant spider monster? It's not so much scary as throw-up-in-your-mouth-a-little-bit-weird.

D. Bow said...

I have seen that! It's an image that sticks with you.

Sally said...

whoa, those are awesome! i especially love the one with the little dead girl.. when she is sliding across the road it looks like it came straight out of "the ring" or "the grudge". way to go great britain!