Tuesday 7 October 2008

The BFP turns me into a bearded clam

CNN headlines of the day:
"'Help me!' woman yells, then car explodes,"
"'Power Ranger' could face death in yacht killings," and
"Skinny dipper invades Imperial Palace moat" ("Man splashed, threw rocks at police who pursued him in boat... Palace official says its unlikely emperor saw nude swimmer")

So I finally finished The Cranford Chronicles (or 2/3 of it, which is all I hope I need to read) and I feel like I've been sipping tea with old ladies forever. It was a good book, but not what you'd call a page-turner; the conflicts are small and there are no villains - it's just a big, warm-hearted slice of aging Victorian elegance.
Fuck that. Now I'm reading Tipping the Velvet, which is all about oyster-shucking boy-ladies who get it on. Though it's about the late 1800s, it's the only modern book I'm reading this term (I don't think many Victorian novelists wrote about cross-dressing lesbians) and it shows. What an easy read! And not just because of all the hot, seafood euphemisms (did you know the 'bearded clam' is actually a seafood dish?).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also got the second Bennington Free Press in the mail today, courtesy of Laurie Kobick. I'm hesitant to write anything here that someone who writes for it might read (though how many people are reading this? Three?) so I'll be democratic and state my likes with my dislikes:
  • I'm glad people at Bennington care about current affairs (pro). I'm pretty sure that we're all a tiny bit plugged into politics at the moment. But honestly, BFP, honestly you are the last place I'd ever go for news (con). Even if the writing was outstanding, why would I wait for Henry Lyon to inform me about the financial crisis (in a misspelled front page bulletin, no less) when there are hundreds of sources like CNN, The New York Times and even the fucking OregonianBFP - one Before the End of the World is enough. at my fingertips. The mind boggles! Come on I am interested in reading students' opinion-pieces about current events. Those are unique and something I can't get anywhere else, but I don't need the BFP informing me that the presidential debate was held; the world knows.
Ok, so I said I'd try not to be a bitch, but the above paragraph is pretty bitchy. Let's move on and try and keep it sweet:
  • There's a tribute to Archie (pro) - along with Dave, the most lovable security guard of all. He will be sorely, sorely missed. A fourth of the tribute is really about Sarah McAbee - the second time she's been mentioned in the two BFP's this year (con).
  • Someone's taken over Dee's baking column (with the nice title "Baking with Faith") (pro). It begins by suggesting that people of our generation don't know who Gene Kelly is (con). Faith, you go to Bennington - we know.
This next bit might get a little cunty:
  • Connie Panzariello '12 serves up the requisite Freshman article about how new and exciting and quirky Bennington is and how we're all going to be friends because Bennington is unlike anywhere in the world!
"A Freshman Perspective On Bennington:
I like to think of my first night at Bennington as what will probably be a metaphor for my entire college experience here. At the student center, there was this drum dance. That's really the only way to describe it; only it wasn't exactly a dance in the traditional high school vein. In fact, most of my high school population would have run out faster than you could say the words, had they been there. I had my doubts as well, until I just stood there and watched for a little while. Everyone was dancing, or moving their body to the rhythm. They didn't care about how they looked or what anyone thought about them, they just did it. And after several minutes of inital 'Oh my god, what am I doing here?' thoughts - I joined in.
Oh God, Connie Panzariello '12, gag me with a spoon. (Dear Connie Panzariello '12, if you're reading this, I'm sorry). Some things:
  1. Your high school population would have run faster than you could say what words?
  2. Those people you saw dancing - they cared about how they looked and what people thought of them. And/or they were high.
  3. This is not a metaphor for your college experience. I don't even know if it's really a metaphor... I think it's just a memory.
Connie then says she's on a path to self-discovery. It goes on:
I liken it to the proverbial falling without a parachute; only, it's not like you forgot the parachute; it simply does not exist. Before, at home, you probably had your parents, your best friend, and your dog, to fall on. Here you have yourself and about 231 people who are in the same exact plane as you are, but alas, they don't have parachutes either.
Connie, if falling without a parachute is a proverb at all it is one to warn against poor planning and stupidity. Also, it almost certainly ends in death. Are you saying that the freshman class has made a collective stupid decision to go to Bennington and they will all die? Also, who falls on their dog?
It's hard trying to figure out where you stand, how you stand or if you should even be standing there in the first place. Yet, I think the beauty of this place is that no one is going to tell you; you have to figure it out yourself.
Ah yes, the beauty of Bennington. I can see Connie now, five or six months down the road; she is wearing big sunglasses and chain-smoking a hangover away, complaining that nobody knows what they're doing here and that the dances all suck. It's too late to go to Bard, Connie - your credits won't transfer! (con)

Back on track:
  • Big Guy/Little Guy. What the fuck? I mean seriously. (con)
  • Eileen Scully's brother wrote Sarah Palin's creepy speech at the RNC? (con) Thank you, the skinny, this is exactly the type of interesting information the BFP should be giving me (pro).
  • Danny Brylow's thoughtful piece on Nick Brooke's awesome Time and Motion Study (pro).
  • Paul Newman's in the paper (pro)! It's cause he's dead (con).
  • Zack Franklin's Lucky Strikes graphs. Does this really need to take up half a page? Is there any logic behind any of this? Also, Zack Franklin, did you ever make a graph in school? (con)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was exhausting. It's like four years of anti-BFP aggression just rushed out of me. Is anyone still with me? Did that get too ugly? Why am I not reading about lesbians right now?

12 comments:

ray ray said...

Wait, what happened to Dave? Did Archie pass?

D. Bow said...

Nothing happened to Dave, but, yeah, Archie passed away.

Sally said...

i felt like i was at lunch in the red room while reading this.

ray ray said...

Also good call on Connie's inevitable transoformation into a sunglass wearing human ashtray.

Rebecca said...

Just hearing about this would normally make me gripe about the terrible writing and piss-poor graphic design, but since I saw the Art Institute of Seattle's magazine this morning... well, BFP looks like it deserves a Pulitzer.

The Scully's brother thing is amazing and creepy. A++. Archie news: not so much.

Maggie said...

I too was dubious about the dog-falling on comment. And just about all the other stuff you mentioned. Also for the record, can I call you David Perez Hilton?

Russell said...

Dog falling! I laughed at that, too. Poor dog.

Can you please do this with every BFP? Even when you come back?

As long as we're bitching, what's with "word verification" on the comment section. "Aeyfeahu" is not a word!

D. Bow said...

Please do call me David Perez Hilton.
No, I can never do this again. My rage is too exhausting.

D. Bow said...

Please do call me David Perez Hilton.
No, I can never do this again. My rage is too exhausting.

Constant Reader said...

It's not my fault the people love me!

Anonymous said...

(Oh, and "Tipping the Velvet" is a pathetic attempt at gay fiction. If you want to read something halfway decent with queer themes, I suggest either Virginia Woolfe's "Orlando" or EM Forster's "Maurice".)

Anonymous said...

A Freshman Perspective on a Senior Perspective: If you're a senior, why are you spending your time trashing some poor girl who, by the way, got into Bard, when you should probably allocate your time more wisely on say, I don't know, you're future?
I honestly can not believe that you had no idea you were putting Connie down rather than her article. Evidently, you have some of your own issues to work out and I praise her for writing an honest opinion, which it seems you clearly cannot formulate. Who do you think you are, Gossip Girl, Perez Hilton?

Since you don't know Connie, you have no idea what she is like or what she will be like. I won't try to sell you on how great of a person she is, because it would be a huge waste of time. What offended me most, however, is that you can foresee Connie, someone you don't know, chain-smoking a hangover away (though, I would agree with the big sunglasses). This idea is ludicrous of not only her, but everyone else. Is this what a Bennington student is supposed to amount to? That's a horrible picture.

Maybe you should consider figuring out something about yourself and what you're going to amount to, rather than putting an ambitious girl down for realizing that she's found the perfect school for her where she can succeed.