Friday 17 October 2008

The Three W's

So I was trying to find trailers to watch for Oliver Stone's new historical clusterfuck, W. I can't say that I love Oliver Stone's films - Natural Born Killers was alright but Platoon is way overrated - but I'm definitely fascinated by his gall. He makes history films in broad strokes with little regard for reality. His attitude is even evident in his casting - James Cromwell is awesome but he is no George H.W. and Anthony Hopkins is a great actor, but he sure as hell isn't Richard Nixon. There's a surrealism in seeing famous actors playing even more famous historical figures. It takes a lot of balls, too, and I'm really curious about how/if it pays off at all.

In looking for the trailers on youtube I stumbled across even more strangeness. First, one of the official W. trailers:



Then someone's bizarre pet project full of spliced films, newsreels and soundbytes (and Zeppelin!). It's baffling to me why this was made, but even more interesting in the way that it works. There's no denying how cinematic George Bush's story is. (For the record, you only really need to watch the first 30-45 seconds of this to get the point, though the end is pretty good).



And lastly, and most importantly, I ran into this trailer for a completely different W. which I'll let speak for itself.



Which film would you rather watch? Fiction, non-fiction or whatever that last one is?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


On a similar note, did anyone else see McCain and Obama doing stand-up comedy and roasting each other at the Al Smith dinner??? Since when does this happen? Has the world gone mad?

It reminds me of this Onion article: World Leaders Gather to Roast Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

No comments: