Sunday 5 October 2008

Video News

Oh blog, what would I do if I didn't have you? Who would I tell about my adventures? People I could see?

News:
  • I have purchased a pair of really nice jeans at Topman making me a metrosexual from the waist down. Also, now that I know that Topman exists I finally get who Damon Albarn is making fun of in that Blur song, "Top Man" (me!).


  • I finally finished Jane Eyre (behind the schedule I set for myself) and it was amazing. Easily the best book I've read all year. Now I'm about a third of the way through The Cranford Chronicles, three Victorian comedies which are just as gut-busting as their BBC adaptation (which I also have to watch) looks:


  • I just got back from a trip to Navin in the Republic with the five dire Americans in my study abroad group. We were down there on our mandatory weekend homestay with a real Irish family. Guess what - not that different from American families. We watched X Factor (Britain's "American Idol" - please watch all of the clips below) as well as Top Gear - a show that's enormous in Britain, but I still can't figure out why. The family was nice enough all-around, minus Copper, the shaved Cocker Spaniel who constantly had a pink, semi-erection dragging on the ground (and anything he jumped up on like my legs when I was at the dinner table trying to eat).







And speaking of eating, the main difference between American families and Irish: the Irish food is amazing. Today I had three potato dishes, turnips with carrots and turkey for lunch. Last night they served us (no joke): fried eggs and fried white pudding to go on fried pieces of brown bread, served with fried sausage and bacon. It was the most delicious, artery-clogging dinner I've ever had. Also, they drink tea and eat biscuits (cookies without the guilt) all day long.

Irish people keep talking about how Americans are fat but they love fried food here! All Chinese food resturaunts here serve french fries. Also, I recently went to a chippy shop, which is basically an assembly line of deep-fat friers and witnessed people ordering things like "the cowboy supper" - fried, battered sausages with fries and gravy.

2 comments:

Sally said...

have you had an irish breakfast yet??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_breakfast

when i had it the baked beans weren't even baked - just poured out of the can and heated up a little.

D. Bow said...

I did! I really liked it. The beans here are a lot sweeter and less barbecue-y than in the US, so they're not a bad breakfast food.
Also, beans and toast is a really common meal for students because of the cheap protein. Now you know.