Wednesday 1 October 2008

Just wait'll I blog about this...!

Today I had my first lecture - Discovering the Earliest Writings in English.
Hey, did you know that Old English is not actually English at all? It's actually some hurby-gurby language that sounds all fucked up and shit.

I had been led by Hollywood to believe that Old English was like this:


In fact, it's more like this:


That's right, everything in Old English is about God and farm animals. Crispin Glover nor Angelina Jolie have been mentioned.
And listen to how they start the Lord's Prayer:

Faeder ure,
the the eart on heofonum,
Si thin nama gehalgod.
Tobecume thin rice
Gewurthe thin willa
on eorthan swa swa on heofonum.

Whaaaa?
If you are pronouncing that correctly, you should sound something like this:



Luckily, tomorrow I have Medieval English, which I have been led to believe is something like this:



~~~~~~~~~~

Jane Eyre, for it's part, is coming right along. That means I only have three more books to read. Yay!

3 comments:

ray ray said...

Is there any mention of aqua erotica in Old English?

D. Bow said...

No, that's Medieval, too.

Sally said...

"dance floor dale" made its way to belfast?? wow, i guess this here internet really is global!