Sunday 7 December 2008

Katy Perry, How I Hate You

Today I needed to share how angry Katy Perry makes me. I don't know if her 15 minutes is up in the States, but it keeps ticking over here (though it's definitely on a downswing). She reminds me of other artists in the past who I've stood on the sidelines and watched part of the world go ga-ga over (I know anyone reading this isn't included there, but, to prove my point, CNN chose to interview her the other day) just waiting for the inevitable backlash. I was trying to make a mental list of these other artists who were really hot one day only to have all of their fans disowned them the next. Of course, this happens a lot in the "indie" community - usually when a band gets semi-popular - but nobody but the indie community is listening to those bands, so it doesn't count. I was thinking more along the lines of Creed and boy/girl bands (also still strong in the UK), where it felt like the whole world went crazy for a little while before dumping them. What other names am I trying to think of?



Anyway, the point is, Katy Perry is one of those artists - I can tell she's one of them because I can't seem to write about why she's so awful, the reasons seem too glaringly obvious for any right-thinking person. This isn't snobbery, it's common sense. The levels of ignorance and faux-attitude in the first line of "Hot n Cold" speak for themselves, don't they? Don't they, world??
"You change your mind like a girl changes clothes/ Yeah, you PMS like a bitch, I would know."

Nothing could make me angrier than a walking Betty Page-lite miming feminine empowerment, yet undercutting it with retrograding gender stereotypes and calculated sass. How can you hear lyrics like that without seeing the league of middle-aged, male writers who put the song together (Dr. Luke and Max Martin, in this instance)? Isn't it a bit like the white guys at Disney writing James Baskett's Uncle Remus-jive talk in Song of the South? There's condescension just dripping off the thing. The message coming from these lyrics is that women are inherently fickle and bitchy. Because they're not girls, men should be above these traits, but women can't help it.



And it's not that I'm just an overprotective dad, but it disgusts me to see middle schoolers choking down this kind of thing. It's like those shirts little girls buy that say "Spoiled Princess" or whatever, thus reinforcing this Super Sweet 16 attitude; telling little boys and girls that it is appropriate and desirable for girls to be sassy, sexy bitches. I'd rather Jeff Dunham were popular with todays youth.

The bottom line is, that, like Creed before her, I will be happily relieved when Katy Perry falls on her face. I look forward to her lame sophomore release that will cause the Disney Channel Generation to find some new pop tart to worship, while Perry joins Fergie and Avril Lavigne in outdated corporate sex-symbol purgatory (Fergatory?).

HEY KIDS! You don't understand my points? You wanna read an updated opinion on why I hate Katy Perry? You think I'm an old jerk who just doesn't understand and wanna send me some more hate mail? Then bop on over to the new and improved rant and tell me what you think!

10 comments:

Sally said...

amen, sister!

also,

FERGATORY! are you in mensa?

Rachel said...

I hope when I die I get to go to Fergatory.

Anonymous said...

haha, soo right! 10++++ points for you! I've also had speculations about the lyrics and therefore I do really wondering what the hell is this sh*t!?
I'm a 17 years old guy from Sweden, and who's confused considering the world we are living in.

Kind regards
Ludde

Anonymous said...

Times are changing! this isnt the 18th century and its people like you that just ruin a good song and a good time because of your old fashioned ways! i'm 14 and when i listen to her songs i dont think ooh i think ill become a skank now and strip my clothes off i am a respectable teenager and i dont know why you think that these songs will make us corrupt young "hoodlems" who will go around getting pissed and having random sex with strangers! and why do you bring femminism into this that has nothing to do with it!! its not katy perry and just about every other normal teenager that needs to change its people like you!!!!

Anonymous said...

YES EXACTLY

"The message coming from these lyrics is that women are inherently fickle and bitchy. Because they're not girls, men should be above these traits, but women can't help it."

kids and teens everywhere are listening to this girl promote such a ghastly message.

in reply to the anon 14yo girl - yes. it is the 21st century. all the more reason why we should be embracing gender equality rather than undoing all the progress that the feminists began in the 1800s and 1900s.

Anonymous said...

p.s.
that last comment was me, a 16yo girl.

so yeah, when i say that teens everywhere are listening to these lyrics, that means myself too.


shame.

as a side note... katy perry can't even sing. have u listened to her live on youtube videos? she sucks...

Anonymous said...

LOL
This is soooo true

Anonymous said...

katy perry is for people who hate music.

Anonymous said...

I happen to think the song Hot and Cold is amusing. It can be very true. I've dated guys just like the song tells of.
As for the first line;
It says "you change your mind like a girl changes clothes". Nothing wrong with that sentence. I, myself, don't change clothes often, but it is the wide majority of girls that do.
As for the second part - it says bitch for a reason. I realize that the edited radio version says chick, but that is not how the song is meant. It says bitch, in the context of a girl on her period being a bitch. I, myself, am a bitch on my period. I admit that, not proudly, but honestly.
Continuing on, you're in the UK. I have a friend in the UK that I chat online with regularly and a major thing I notice about her is her use of words being ranged very far from mine. She has literally felt insulted but what I've said because she doesn't see the same meaning in words as I do.
So, don't you think it's a possibility that you're taking a song targeted at American women/girls/ladies wrong because of lack of communication.
Overall, I like the song. It's catchy, and true. I also feel it gives courage to some girls stuck with a guy like that to leave him and find a guy more mature and sure of himself.

Russell said...

"why do you bring femminism into this that has nothing to do with it"

and

"Continuing on, you're in the UK. I have a friend in the UK that I chat online with regularly and a major thing I notice about her is her use of words being ranged very far from mine...you're taking a song targeted at American women/girls/ladies wrong because of lack of communication"

just made my evening.