Wednesday 5 November 2008

Heaven's Snoogle-Fleejer, Hell's Ying Yang

Big news in America last night: Sasha and Malia Obama are getting a puppy! Only time will tell if Obama follows in John Adams' footsteps and names his dog Satan. I was looking at the wikipedia article about presidential pets - totally fascinating.

My favorite: Jimmy Carter's cat, Misty Malarky Ying Yang, seen here with his daughter, Amy.



Also, did you know that in 1995 Jimmy and Amy Carter collaborated on a childrens' book together called The Little Baby Snoogle-Fleejer? Now you do.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other exciting news, walking home from class yesterday some old men from a fundamentalist church handed me two exciting documents! The first was everyone's favorite family newspaper, End Times, which, apparently, proves Richard Dawkins wrong about the theory of evolution. You see, in 2005 Dawkins said in a lecture that he believes everything in the universe is the product of Darwinian natural selection, but he technically can't prove it. Why? For starters I'm going to guess that cataloging everything that ever existed in the universe and proving it's origin is a bit ambitious, but what do I know?
The End Times contrasts this with a letter that Dawkins sent to his daughter on her tenth birthday.
(I'm going to give that a second to sink in)


In the letter Dawkins tells his ten-year-old daughter:
"Next time somebody tells you something that sounds important, think to yourself: 'Is this the kind of thing people probably know because of evidence? Or is it the kind of thing that people only believe because of tradition, authority or revelation?' And next time somebody tells you that something is true, why not say to them: 'What kind of evidence is there for that?"
Ah-ha! Caught in your own snare, Dawkins! (On a side note, that's a pretty heady message for a ten-year-old, isn't it?)

The other wonderful pamphlet I was handed was an invitation to see the Christian theatrical guilt-o-rama Heaven's Gates, Hell's Flames next Sunday. If you haven't heard of it before, HGHF is basically a live Chick tract where people die in the middle of overwrought sin scenarios (gay drug abortions! prostitute Eucharist smashings! I actually don't know the particulars 'cuz I haven't seen it) and proceed to St. Peter's to be judged accordingly. I'll let this youtube clip do the rest of the talking. Either way, I'm totally psyched about going. Now I just need to find an Irish friend who appreciates irony. "Right on, baby! I hear this is Snake territory!"



"Joey you can't die! I didn't tell you about Jesus!" Here's a full trailer for more sweet, sweet madness.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

I thought I was the only one who leaped (leapt?) at the mention of a new puppy.

When I visited the White House in 8th grade there was a photo exhibit of presidential pets. I think my favorite is Rebecca Coolidge's pet raccoon, Grace.

Rachel said...

By which I mean Grace Coolidge's raccoon, Rebecca. Dangit!

D. Bow said...

I just keep thinking about how awesome it would be to have Barack Obama for a dad, with the prospect of living in the White House and getting a new puppy.
My plan is to kidnap little Malia and take her place like the Curious Mr. Ripley mixed with White Chicks.

D. Bow said...

By which I meant The Talented Mr. Ripley mixed with White Chicks. Dangit!

Andrew Kaluzynski said...

I went to see Heavens gates Hells flames in Bennington Sophomore year at the green mtn church of something or other.

Good times

Unknown said...

I'm so excited!
You're cooler than me.

Sally said...

i've been to a few hell house thingies in alabama. i always was tricked into going because i thought it was just going to be a haunted house. lame!

also, i remember reading a book when i was little about socks, the chelsea clinton's cat.

whoa! i just found a sweet fan club for socks the cat:
http://www.geocities.com/capitolhill/6157/

Rebecca said...

I can beat Sally: I wrote a letter to Socks. And I got a postcard back. YES.

-Rebecca (Not The Raccoon)

Andrew Kaluzynski said...

David. You are the only person I know who manages to appear snarky in writing.

Being "cooler" than you was not what I was going for.

Your post brought back a memory and I thought I'd comment.

Jeez.