Saturday 22 November 2008

Grainy '80s Sci-Fi TV-Movies in our Classrooms

So I'm really excited about the re/reading of all these middle school novels on the horizon. Does anyone want to do a middle school book club with me, come January? Sally, you said you'd be down. We can raid the young-adult section of our local libraries without shame.

All this talk about middle school had me thinking of other media memories inflicted on me. I spent a little while trying to find this film that we watched in my seventh grade English class. I know we also watched Schindler's List during the Holocaust unit (if your parents signed the note saying it was ok) and the TV-movie adaptation of the awesome Lathe of Heaven, which was significantly less awesome:




Lathe of Heaven is on youtube (in all 15 parts), too, but I'm not going to try and inflict that on anybody.

Anyways, after a little research I found the short film I was trying to remember, All Summer in a Day. Like Lathe it's grainy late-'70s/early-'80s sci-fi, it's kind of a bummer and it's firmly entrenched in my memory. It's all about these kids who live on a planet where it rains all day every day except very special times when the sun comes out for, like, two minutes. Did anyone else watch this?

Fun fact: this movie accurately portrays what living in Portland is like.
Fun fact #2: recently the kid who plays little bitch-ass William in this played "Loudmouth guy" in the movie Just a Little Harmless Sex opposite international film star Rachel Hunter.
Here it is in it's entirety:







3 comments:

Rachel said...

It would be cooler if you had linked to my blog instead of that whore of an impostor's imdb page.

D. Bow said...

Who was Rachel Hunter first? Who was in the "Stacy's Mom" video? Who found Rod Stewart attractive enough to marry?

Rachel said...

Me, me, and me, that's who. I've been keeping a lot of things from you. All of you.