Tuesday 23 September 2008

Dream Journal vol. 1/Irish playlist vol. 1

Dream Journal vol. 1:

9/17/08

Last night I dreamed my dad, Max Bussman and I were trying to record a reading of the 10 Commandments off of a VHS of "Animal House" played at a funny speed. The 10 Commandments, like the Bill of Rights, had been expanded. There were now 24. The last two were, "Take your soda glass and fill it," "keep it fizzy, never spill it."

9/19/08

Last night I dreamed I was reading a zine in which Frances Bean Cobain listed her favorite bands and favorite song. The former were all garage bands from Seattle I'd never heard of, but the latter was obviously one of her father's. It was a little-known track called "Orange," or "Mango" or some other citrus fruit.

The lyrics went something like:
"Hey lady, looking so depressed/ that you forgot to wear your dress/ My morning jacket doesn't have that dress/ break/ What's Les Claypool going to do/ when the world runs out of amps?/ Led Zeppelin never played a small arena..." and that's all I can remember.
This is obviously a Nirvana song as it sounds like nothing Kurt Cobain would ever write ever.

I remember thinking in the dream that the lyrics to this rare song were obviously where My Morning Jacket got their name and applauding them in my head for the sweet reference.
Upon waking up I recorded the tune into my tape player so I'll remember it always.

9/20/08

I dreamed an old Johnny Depp was running for president, having defeated his venerable, elderly female rival in the Democratic party. My job was to make photocopies for them. Senator Depp wanted a photocopy of a Corona magazine ad in which people are holding hands on a beach, for use in a stump speech on how our culture views love. The woman wanted a picture of her white terrier.
I was afraid I'd lost the pictures to copy. When I found Johnny's I came back into their office/my family room, in which the woman was advising Johnny against using the movie Desperado as an analogy in his speech. I jumped in, blurting out, "Desperado is essentially two movies in one." Then I woke up.

Earlier in the night I dreamed I was driving around Raleigh Hills with a small piano in between my and the steering wheel playing Randy Newman's "Short People." I had a kitten in the backseat.
I drove through the New Seasons grocery store parking lot where a stock boy and his girlfriend were hitching up his giant mule (shaped like a thoroughbred). The mule was of the sort that had an innate capacity for smelling mammilian babies if they were ever concealed or hiding, as they are known to do in some horses' stomachs. It pulled at it's reigns, sniffing at the car doors to my back seat, prompting the stock boy to ask me, "How many babies? Puppies? Kittens?"

9/21/08

In my dream last night I was at a dinner party with a group of friends. Emily Tareila was snubbing me at the table with a series of backhanded comments because it was widely known that I was attracted to a girl that had voted for Hilary in the Democratic primary. She began straight-up insulting me in a non-stop barrage as I sat there, looking down and fidgeting. Emily wouldn't stop until I finally yelled, "Shut up!" The table laughed good-naturedly and Emily looked shocked.
"Shut up!" became a popular catchphrase at the party. Whenever something was going on longer than it should be someone would yell it, everyone would laugh and then turn to smile at me.

After the blow-up at the table I left my seat only to be confronted in the hallway by Emily with Sean as her muscle. They were furious about this political treason as well as my support for Obama's pick for Joe Biden as VP. "Traitor!" they yelled.
"I gave the Obama campaign money!" I pleaded, putting Sean in a headlock.* "And I can't control who he picks for vice president!"

Later we were supposed to go on a tour of a hospital but I missed the ride there, being forced to take a bus instead. I wasn't sure where to meet the group and, finding a large cell phone on the sidewalk considered calling Sean and asking him, but I was too proud to do so after our fight.

Upon finding the group inside the hospital's nightclub, Sean and I did a reconciliatory karaoke version of Limp Bizkit's "Nookie" as the music video was projected on a large screen in front of us.

*This is a fact! A man came to my door before I left the US to ask for money. I gave him $6.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Northern Irish playlist, week 1:

Sparklehorse - "Ghost of His Smile"
Neil Young - "Birds"
The Pogues - "And the Band Played Waltzing Mathilda"
Randy Newman - "Baltimore"
Warren Zevon - "A Certain Girl"
Modest Mouse - "Missed the Boat"
Grandaddy - "Hewlitt's Daughter"
The Good, The Bad and the Queen - "Three Changes"
Grandaddy - "Jed the Humanoid"
The Good, The Bad and the Queen - "The Good, The Bad and the Queen"

Bop along at home!
(to some of it...)













2 comments:

Clarence said...

Damn Dave,

Its odd because I always suspected that you had a blog but just chose not to tell anyone about it. You are well suited for this kind of thing. I tried writing in a blog for a while last spring while I was getting accustomed to the new surroundings but got burned out after about the second week because the chinese govt caught on to my wareabouts and made it difficult for me to post or view anything from blogger.

I met a guy on the street tonight that is family friends with Annabel Davis Goff. I think she has quite a few family friends which I dont quite understand as most of them whom Ive met or have found out about arent from Ireland. I still have her picture up on my wall but Im trying to replace it with a drawing of Lauren because Annabel has been making me too stressed out.

Something tells me that even when the other Americans arrive, they are also going to suck big balls. The foreign students dormitory is right across from my classroom here and they are always getting new groups of study-abroad students. Most of them are either from Brigham Young University or Westpoint. All the westpoint people are extremely buff and wear collared shirts with cargo pants. The brigham young kids are all mormon so they are extremely conservative (and for some odd reason most of the male students, despite being ages 18-23, are all balding pretty badly). But the worst is when I talk to them, because it confirms the fears that I have, about the stereotype of the stupid american which I read about in all of Annabel’s selected literary spy novels.

The bums in China also dress much better than I do. The street sweepers usually wear suits when they work in the mornings. Being that there are no thrift stores, I too have had to find a different option for buying clothing. Ive started buying cloths from the military shops. At the moment, Im wearing the shoes of the liberation army.

Have you had Hagus or obergenes yet or started saying Haych or Zed? I think Im losing all of my english skills because I dont really speak much of it these days. Ive read The Sound and The Fury about five times now though. I hear the Unibomber read Conrad’s the Secret Agent about twelve times while plotting in his shack. I should have picked french.

missing you too

Unknown said...

i am scared to start my milan blog because yours is so good.
those murals are amazing
please let me know if you ever leave that little island of yours. it would be cool to hang out
also, i am coming to bennington in april again
or graduation
i'm not sure